Tuesday, February 13, 2018

WHY THE BARLEY IS SO GOOD FOR BLOOD SUGAR


My fasting glucose is 125 this morning, much lower, on 3 servings of barley yesterday.  Today I am thinking about why the barley is doing such marvelous things with my blood sugar.  It is clipping my post-prandial highs, down from over 200 to less than 180, and sometimes less than 165.  And my morning fasting glucose is sinking.

The most obvious reason is the glycemic index of barley, which is around 20 or so on a scale of 100, where wheat and other grains are up around 100, the same as table sugar.  By having three servings of barley, I am effectively cutting out all the options that have the ability to spike blood sugar – potatoes, wheat bread, corn, and so on.  So barley is a better choice than those foods.

But the less obvious reason is the fact that the barley actively changes the gut biome, favoring the Prevotella copri bacteria.  These bacteria actually put out hormones and enzymes that lower blood sugar, and they also crowd out the other bad bacteria.  The hormones promote a feeling of fullness all day long.

I don’t think I can live on a daily basis with three servings of barley every day, but I can certainly live with two servings.  The barley hot breakfast cereal is a treat every day, and barley bread is to die for with coffee as a snack.  I will work in barley and cheese casserole when I am out of barley bread, giving me another day to make the bread.

If I keep my other carbs low-glycemic, like the Mission Carb Balance tortilla with all the fiber and low carbs, and have a dinner that is filled with veggies, that should be a nice way to approach getting the benefits of barley.  And when I add the barley grass capsules starting next Wednesday, that will be the third serving.

So, here is the menu for today:

BREAKFAST:  1/3 cup hot Tsampa cereal, 1/3 cup blueberries, stevia, 2 tbs half and half

LUNCH:  Taco salad made with baked Mission Carb Balance Tortilla (sprayed with pan spray, poked with fork to stop bubbles, baked at 450F for 5 - 8 minutes in taco salad shell baking form), 2 oz taco seasoned hamburger meat, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, salsa, cheese,  3 cups popcorn, small apple

DINNER: 1 whole Slim-Fast Protein Shake, Old Monterrey Chicken Empanada, salad, raw veggies,1/3 cup Lucky Leaf Lite Cherry Pie Filling, whipped cream, ¼ cup Great Grains topping.

SNACK:  1/8th loaf barley bread, coffee

Minus 30 minutes walking – 163 calories

Net Calories 1217

No comments: