Friday, March 16, 2007

BLOOD SUGAR REGULATION WITH FOOD

Most people are not aware that hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar, is a condition that means diabetes is on the way. If you get shaky, faint, or very tired after you eat carbs or sweets, that is your blood sugar crashing. That happens as a result of too much insulin being released in response to the carbs.

Over time, this condition exhausts the pancreas. Also, too many carbs creates a condition called insulin resistance, or Syndrome X. This is also known as Metabolic Syndrome. It leads to Type II diabetes, where the cells don't let insulin in, even if your blood is filled with glucose.

Both hypoglycemia and Syndrome X can be controlled with food. It takes organization, and knowledge of the food composition of everything you put into your mouth. In my case, I wrote down everything I ate for one year in a food diary. I hit my targets for fat, protein and carbs, and as a result, normalized my blood sugar and got off insulin. I also lost 100 pounds.

See my previous posts for the method to compute your fat, protein, and carb targets for weight loss. If you are hypoglycemic, you may be underweight, but still have insulin resistance. The solution for both the skinny and the obese people is the same - equal grams of protein and carbs, and low fat.

If it seems like a hassle to get organized and learn what the food composition of your diet is, just think of the hassle when you get diabetes. And, if you have to take insulin, which is a fat storage hormone, further weight gain is inevitable. I guess I would rather be organized.

Martha

No comments: