Tuesday, August 26, 2008

FOOD CONSISTENCY LETS YOU JUDGE SUPPLEMENT EFFECTIVENESS

Some of you have asked how I can tell which supplements work effectively to reduce blood sugar. It is easy, really. I just logged all my food and kept my target numbers for fat, protein, and carbs CONSISTENT. For an entire year, I hit my target numbers (for someone my size) of 25gm fat plus 6 gm omega 3's, 100gm carbs and 100gm protein on a daily basis. Against this background, I introduced the supplements listed on the left side of the blog.

The most stunning was alpha lipoic acid. It only took 5 days for me to reduce my need for insulin completely. This is a real miracle, as I only have half a pancreas. What does alpha lipoic acid do? It does the same thing insulin does - it carries glucose across the cell membrane into the mitochondria for "burning." But the only reason I knew how effective the alpha lipoic acid is came from the fact that I held my fat, protein, and carb targets steady. Therefore, when I found that I got a 30-point reduction in post-prandial glucose, I knew it was the alpha lipoic acid.

You, too, can be a scientist! Work with your doctor and learn to hit your fat, protein, and carb targets at left. You will be so pleased with the reduction that happens in blood glucose that comes from hitting those targets, but the real payoff is that you can identify which supplements help.

Of course, it goes without saying that you need to be working with a doctor that approves of the use of supplements for diabetes. If you can't find one, go looking. There are plenty of them out there, and more of them coming on board every day.

Just be strict with yourself, hit your targets, and let the supplements finish the job! It helps to eat 5 times per day and measure 5 times per day, as I did. The glucose meter does not lie!

No comments: