Wednesday, December 10, 2008

WHY DID OPRAH REGAIN HER WEIGHT?

Now, first let me say I don't know Oprah, and have no knowledge of her dieting challenges. But if Oprah is like most every dieter that does not know that loss of muscle is the main reason the weight comes back, I think I can make a statement about the most probable reason: she starved herself and went to the gym. This is a surefire way to lose muscle mass, and it is muscle that burns calories. So, as a result of dieting, she has less calorie burning ability now than when she started. Of course the weight will come back.

The correct way to lose weight is to balance protein and carbs and go low-fat. When you balance protein and carbs, making the total number of grams equal for the day, your body will add muscle and lose fat all by itself, no exercise required. So, hit your target numbers of 1 gram of protein and 1 gram of carbs for every pound of lean muscle you have. For most females, that is 90 to 100 grams of protein per day, and 90 to 100 gm carbs per day.

*Of course, exercise is very beneficial and you should exercise. But add a protein bar, balanced in protein and carbs, for every 30 minutes of exercise, in addition to your target numbers. Eat BEFORE exercising.*

Of course, the good carbs are the ones you want. But add whey protein to your diet so you can hit your target numbers.

The weight comes off nice and slow, about 2 pounds per week. And your muscle mass will go up as you lose fat. Each pound of muscle mass you add burns another 13 calories per day.

In my own case, I gained 30 pounds of muscle as I lost my 110 pounds. This means I am burning almost 400 calories per day more than when I weighed 283. Instead of having 100 pounds of muscle pushing around 283 pounds, I am now 130 pounds of muscle pushing around 170 pounds. What a difference!

So look on the left side bar and find your diet according to how tall you are. Learn to log all your food and hit your target numbers. You will end up with a metabolism that actually works!

No comments: